← 10 Ways to Use the Internet to Be Even Lazier
10 Things That Could Lead to the Demise of Twitter →
10 Ways Twitter Could Censor Tweets
Twitter connects the world better than a network of unlimited free texting cellphones. It is reminiscent of the old party phone lines with the new technology twist. Messages are sent in 140 character blurbs known as tweets. Note that these sent tweets are able to be read anywhere in the world by anybody in the world.
The Twitter system and terms of service are designed to be self moderated. The concept of free speech gives users unlimited abilities but also saddles them with the responsibility of policing their own network. Users are instructed to never send messages that can be used against themselves.
Censorship of tweeted messages is just not done by Twitter. Individuals that encounter users that send offensive messages simply un-follow or block that user. Warnings are given to users that tweeted links may lead to offensive websites, viruses, malware, and all the other nasties of the internet.
Twitter is not for children. Parents are responsible for what their children should or shouldn’t be allowed to do on the internet.
Twitter will terminate users thus barring them from sending tweets. Based on Twitter’s Terms Of Service, the following illegal activity attempts will be dealt with harshly.
- National Security – Twitter is home-based in California, USA and follows the laws of this land. At any time, Twitter reserves the right to modify tweets and transmission in accordance to Federal Law and Homeland Security.
- International Laws – Twitter is obligated to follow the laws of other countries. Illegal use of Twitter bans the user. Countries can and have barred the use of the Twitter system within their borders. Several countries are deemed “Enemies Of The Internet.” Either these countries use Twitter to transmit propaganda or bar/punish their citizens from using the Twitter system as it is intended.
- Government Control – Governments can and do regulate internet use to their citizens. The recent unrest in Egypt is an example. Internet access was shut down to over 88% of users.
- Ban for illegal activity – Twitter has a liberal set of rules and regulations protecting the system without monitoring the user message activity. Failure to comply results in termination of the user. No account, no tweets.
- Illegal attempts to “access, tamper with, or use non-public areas” of the Twitter Services will result in legal action.
- Illegal attempts to “probe, scan, or test the vulnerability of any system or network” in order to”breach or circumvent any security or authentication measures” will result in legal action.
- Gathering Twitter Data – “Access or search or attempt to access or search the Services by any means (automated or otherwise) other than through our currently available, published interfaces that are provided by Twitter (and only pursuant to those terms and conditions), unless you have been specifically allowed to do so in a separate agreement with Twitter (NOTE: crawling the Services is permissible if done in accordance with the provisions of the robots.txt file, however, scraping the Services without the prior consent of Twitter is expressly prohibited).” Legal action will result.
- Falsifying Twitter – Attempt to “forge any TCP/IP packet header or any part of the header information in any email or posting, or in any way use the Services to send altered, deceptive or false source-identifying information” is illegal and will be dealt with by legal action.
- Don’t Mess With Users – Any attempts to “interfere with, or disrupt, (or attempt to do so), the access of any user, host or network, including, without limitation, sending a virus, overloading, flooding, spamming, mail-bombing the Services, or by scripting the creation of Content in such a manner as to interfere with or create an undue burden on the Services.” Legal action will be taken.
- Tweets Are Copyrighted Content – A user retains the copyright of their tweet content even though it can be used or modified by Twitter. If your Content has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, you can notify Twitter to take action against the offender.
Twitter is a great little message system allowing users freedom of speech 140 characters at a time. As with any internet program; rules , regulations, and terms need to be read and understood to enjoy the full benefits.
Tweet This Buzz This Facebook Stumble This
← 10 Ways to Use the Internet to Be Even Lazier 10 Things That Could Lead to the Demise of Twitter →